Thread: How to check whether a SMPS is in working condition or not?

Question How to check whether a SMPS is in working condition or not?

At first disconnect all SMPS connectors from mother board and other peripheral devices like DVD RW, HDD etc. Now switch on the mains and short two wires. One is GREEN and another is BLACK. If the SMPS is in working condition it will start.
    :)

Re: How to check whether a SMPS is in working condition or not?

You can easily test the power supply whether it is working or not by shorting the PSU with a copper wire on 13 and 14 pins considering that you have a 24 pin one power supply (not sure about correct pin numbers though). After shorting give it some time to discharge static current, the thing is PSU's can store a mighty charge which really could kill. So leave the PSU unplugged overnight to let it discharge.
    hope this also might help u..
    thanks.....

I think every hardware technicians are known this trick to check SMPS.

You trick is really working, I tried with my old SMPS that i expect it is not working, Now it is working perfectly for my old PC. Thanks for sharing this information.